Because we had no students this week, we were able to attend
Rootstech. It was an amazing experience. On the opening day I saw Elder
Fallabella and thanked him for the video we’d seen at the Red Rock Stake Family
History Conference last summer. The classes I enjoyed most emphasized taking a
broad approach in research and looking at entire neighborhoods instead of just
focusing on direct lines. It was a really beneficial experience.
Thursday one of the keynote speakers was Paula Madison, a
lady who had found her Chinese grandfather on FamilySearch and connected with
that entire branch of her family. It was a very touching and amazing story. Her
message was that because of the records, she and people like her are able to
find who they are. She was leaving immediately from her speaking engagement to
fly to China for her great-uncle’s funeral. She said that if we ever wonder if
it is worth all the effort, to her it was worth her life.
Another speaker made the following statement: “Everyone
dies. Not everyone lives.” I have gleaned three things from this conference: I
need to participate in indexing, either in English or in another language—they
give training for the basic vocabulary necessary; I need to go further than I
usually do with my research; and I need to write my stories about me, my
family, my parents, before it is too late. I’m not quite sure how I am going to
accomplish that, but it is the message I got from the conference.
This week especially made me really grateful we are in the
Training Zone so we could attend this conference. Most of the other
missionaries had to work in their various areas at least part of the time and
some all of the time. We are very blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment