Monday was Memorial Day. We started with a hike up City
Creek to the road down to the capitol building and home. It took nearly two
hours but we really enjoyed the nice weather and the scenery. The noise of the
creek nearby was really soothing. After we got home , I did a little family
history for a few minutes. I was amazed—I found a whole family for one of Ted’s
ancestor’s children, including birth and death dates for many. We then drove to
the cemetery to find Grandma and Grandpa Farnsworth’s graves. With some help from the office
we went right to them in seconds. It was a touching experience to be there.
We went to a movie in the afternoon. When we got home we decided to go out to the gazebo to play games. Another
missionary joined us for a while. When the young elders finished their meeting a couple
joined us then another couple of them came. We had to change the rules for one
of the elders, but it was really fun.
Tuesday I taught my Beginning IrfanView class. We
had 19 in attendance. The registration was full, but some didn’t show up. I
thought it went well and I got good reviews. I’m not sure they are very
reliable since we all like to speak kindly of each other. I worked on preparations
for my next classes, but they aren't coming together very
well. I did a little research after I got worn out on the classes. The family I was looking at had moved to Norway, so a sweet lady helped me understand
how to do some basic research in Norway and I found most of the birth records
for the family I found on Monday so that was good. I also found a marriage
record for an ancestor that has been elusive.
| Homemade arrowheads |
Wednesday we had an Advanced IrfanView class and I learned a lot. It was great. We had many of the same group that had come Tuesday so it was an interesting experience. We spent time after class helping the students that wanted one on one help and that went well. When we got home I went walking with Sister Tauzin. We went up to the capitol building then cut down into City Creek Canyon. We walked up the opposite side of the canyon, coming out on 9th Avenue since I had forgotten the way up to Grandma Farnsworth’s. We walked down by her house then went back down the path to City Creek. It was a bit strenuous but very enjoyable. I always enjoy our conversations.
Thursday we had another enrichment class on the Wiki and it went really well. The teacher conducted more of a conversation than a lecture, having the students look up information about one of the countries and reporting what they found to show them how to use it. After class I spent some time talking with another trainer about my approach to my upcoming classes and got some good suggestions. After that I was able to put it together and I finally feel good about it.
Friday was our T & R Day—Temple and Research Day. We slept in and it felt really good. We spent most of the day at the library doing research. I did a few things on my class preparations and I’m starting to feel good about them. I was able to find birth and death records for several of the people I had found and put in some sources. I also attended a class on finding Swedish place names that was really good.
Saturday we were out early to help set up the Swap Meet. We
were planning to attend a mini-mission reunion for Farmington New Mexico
Missionaries in Cleveland, Utah where one of the couples lives. We had received
a text from another couple asking if we would like to ride with them. It meant
we had to leave earlier than planned because they were taking a tour of the
desert in the area. We made arrangements and were on our way by 8 am. We
enjoyed a good ride and a good visit through some beautiful country down through
Castle Gate and Price. The couple felt it was inspiration that suggested they
invite us to ride with them. They want to get started in family history but
have no clue where to begin. I suggested they come to Salt Lake and I would help
them get started then introduce them to Danish and English experts that could
do more for them.
In Cleveland, we visited a bit then drove out to the rim of
The Little Grand Canyon. It was amazing. I think it is every bit as impressive
as the big Grand Canyon and probably less commercialized. We took several
pictures and just enjoyed the scenery. After lunch we toured several cabins the
man has renovated. He has an old fire engine that works so he took us for a
ride around a few blocks with us standing on the back. I was terrified the
entire time and kept thinking how totally dangerous it was. He has rebuilt a
couple of homes complete with old furniture and decorations. There is a school
house, a jail, a store, a blacksmith’s shop, and a couple he is still working
on. The buildings have a sense of peace and wholeness in them and it felt good.
He has several old pieces of farm equipment around as well.
| The Little Grand Canyon |
He is an amazing person. They bring up a couple of Navajo children each year to attend Scout Camp and Girls’ Camp and give them an experience that is totally different to what their lives are like most of the time. He has just teamed up with a man in the area that wants to do something of value with his life and they are really trying to help the Navajo people. His heart is still with them. It was an amazing day and one that I will remember for a long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment