Elder and Sister Roeth

Elder and Sister Roeth
Elder and Sister Roeth

Saturday, August 13, 2016

Week of July 31, 2016

Monday we spent some time with Sister Aromaa, a Finnish missionary who has given us a great deal of help with both Finnish and Swedish research. We had asked her to help us know the best way to do Finnish research and also how to use one of the Swedish research sites. She gave us some good information. She showed some things using Ted’s family. It didn’t work as smoothly as hoped because we uncovered a situation where there were multiple spouses in the picture that needed to be sorted out. I think I need to have another go at it to figure out how to find the people I’m looking for. Several of the Swedish families I’ve found have roots in Finland and I’m not sure how to find them to get started.

In the evening our branch held their annual picnic, a dinner held at the church in the cultural hall. We had J-dogs, hotdogs with slits cut into them so they absorb more of a special sauce. We enjoyed the dinner and the visiting. Afterward we played a couple of games that were fun. When they got to the game where we would actually have to get up and move, we decided to leave. One of the couples told us at dinner that the Church is no longer calling missionaries from outside the USA to come into the country due to visa issues. I’m not sure what that will do to the international floor at the library. Many of the missionaries are returned missionaries from various countries, but many are natives that are here from foreign countries. Big change.

Tuesday we went to the temple in the morning after devotional and after getting more information on workings of the Swap Meet. In the evening we attended the concert in the park. I really enjoy the fresh air and the entertainers. There are so many things to do here so near to us and it has been fun to be able to participate in these events.

Wednesday we had an Enrichment class on Land Records. I felt a little disconnected most of the day. I went walking in the evening with my French friend. She is always interesting to visit with and it lifted my spirits. She was concerned about some friends that are waiting for a mission call and whether they would be able to come from France now with this new direction.

Thursday I taught the Enrichment class on Sources. I thought it went well. There were only eight people in attendance so I wondered if we should offer it again, but they all said they felt it was a valuable resource. We have it scheduled again in October. After my class I did some Swedish research for most of the afternoon. I feel like there is so much to do but I am at a loss as to which direction I need to go with it. It is easy to get off onto sidelines that aren’t our family. Part of the time it is necessary to find a spouse or to find a family again when they are lost. I need to build a large pedigree chart to show how everyone fits in so I can also see the holes that need to be filled.

Friday we went on a tour of Welfare Square. It was interesting, but none of the machinery was running so it took some visualization of what they do. We then visited the Humanitarian Center. The big thing there was the large number of people they had sorting the clothing that has been donated. Many people come there to get help and to get job training so they can find work. It was interesting. They have some beautiful quilts on display that gave me some ideas of what I can do with my fabrics at home. I had hoped to do some research at the library, but it was nearly 5 pm before I was able to get there. We went to the concert in the park and enjoyed the singing.

Swap Meet Extravaganza!

Saturday we were out early for the Swap Meet. We had good help getting set up and got everything out on the tables and ready in time to start. Usually some of the clothes are left in the shed and I think some of them have been there quite a while. We got everything out. There were tons of dishes as well. We had a good turnout, but they didn’t take nearly enough. When it was done, we went through everything and kept only things that were really worth hanging onto. We ended up with the clothing rack full and one bin full but not the second bin we usually have. We ended up with more hangers than we need so we need to let some of those go soon. We only kept a few dishes—none of the onesies that have been hanging on for a while. Everything else went. We did keep the sheets and towels and blankets. They need to be sorted, but there is less than there has been in the past. Right now there is a lot more room in the sheds. I feel like our maiden voyage as Swap Meet Chairmen was successful!

No comments:

Post a Comment