Elder and Sister Roeth

Elder and Sister Roeth
Elder and Sister Roeth

Saturday, January 14, 2017

Week of January 1, 2017

Sunday we met together in our new branch for the first time. Our new branch presidency spoke in Sacrament Meeting and we had a joint meeting for Relief Society/Priesthood where Pres. Larson tried to answer the questions we might have about the new organization. It doesn’t seem to be much different. The biggest differences I see are that he will interview for temple recommends, the Relief Society leader (not president) is not responsible for the women as much as just making sure we have teachers and the Hail and Farewell dinner, we won’t home teach, we won’t have our records here, and we might have the opportunity to serve in some of the local wards if needed.

Monday was a holiday. I had a sore throat and didn’t feel swift so I stayed in all day. I did some family history, read some, rested some, and basically felt sick. I reviewed my lessons for the week and felt somewhat prepared to teach.

Tuesday I felt somewhat better but still had the sore throat. We were asked to share some of our enrichment classes with the other half of our zone that trains new missionaries. They are usually tied up with new missionaries, so they are never able to attend our enrichment classes. They have no missionaries this week, so they asked us to teach some classes. I taught Basic IrfanView in the afternoon. I thought they would all have known what I taught, but it was a good experience. I’ll be teaching every day which will be fun.

Wednesday I taught Unique Searches in the morning. It went well. The class is really just a conglomeration of miscellaneous things to consider when searching. It has been a good experience teaching this group of fellow trainers. There are those who pay attention and stay with me so they are able to learn the things I am teaching. There are others who don’t listen or try to go ahead and make choices that take them off the course of what is being taught. They have a hard time staying with the class and I’m not sure whether they are learning or not. It is an interesting group. When we were finished I just went and got in bed.

Thursday I taught Partners in the afternoon. Again I think it went well. Ted taught an enrichment class on Navigation in the library so all the trainers went with him. They figured I had plenty of help if I needed it. I finished fairly quickly so I was in the library just as he was finishing up.

Friday we went to the temple. After we finished I went to the library to do some research. I spent the afternoon entering people I’d found and mostly putting families together. Since most of the baptisms in Finland are indexed, much of what I do is find the records, get the pid numbers for the individuals, and put the families together. Then I need to spend serious time merging and cleaning up the records. I got most of the putting together and merging done, but I still have the clean up to do.

Saturday we had the Swap Meet. It was really cold so I wore my pjs under my clothes, a sweatshirt jacket with furry lining, and a coat and scarf as well as two pairs of gloves, two pairs of socks. It was really bitterly cold, so we let the new missionaries in a couple of minutes early and the old missionaries in about 15 minutes early. We cleaned up early as well. We still ended up with more than we needed, but we got rid of quite a bit of stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment