| Salt Lake in the snow |
Heather and Scott were in town so after class we hurried to the food
court at City Creek to meet Heather and the children. I was afraid they
wouldn’t be able to come because our morning rain had turned to snow and it was
much heavier in Utah Valley. We enjoyed the time with them and got back to the
teaching lab in time to help with the last class of the day.
| Utah State Capitol Building |
Thursday the library was closed. We went for a walk in the
afternoon, climbing some pretty steep hills. We ended at the capitol building
but we saw some beautiful old homes along the way, most of which are converted
into apartments or bed and breakfasts and several of which are Utah Historical
Sites. We were able to go inside to the capitol building. It is a beautiful
building with lots of marble on the walls and floors. We were able to find the
statue of Philo Farnsworth who is credited with inventing the television. He is
a cousin of my mom so we took a picture.
![]() |
| Philo Taylor Farnsworth, Father of Television |
After we returned home we drove to Orem to be with my sister Sue Flick and family for their Christmas Eve. We had a yummy meal then a fun program. Each family had a talent number and shared a memory of Sue and Roger. I was very touched by the things they did with their family. One of their grandsons, Steven Mitchell , is on a mission in Philadelphia. His brother had a video of him playing the piano and singing “Nearer My God to Thee”, partly in English and partly in Spanish. (Of note, he did not play the piano when he left home.) It was very touching and a surprise to everyone.
When it was time to leave we discovered it had started
snowing. It was a little scary on the roads when we couldn’t see the lanes. We
had a prayer for protection then forged ahead, thinking the freeway would be
better—it was not. We went 30-40 mph most of the way, trying to follow in the
tracks of vehicles in front of us. The snow was falling fairly heavily although
it was small flakes. Somewhere in the area of the Point of the Mountain we
began to lose traction. The car slid a bit to the left then to the right; we turned
about 90 degrees to the left and then back to the right. We started turning in
a full circle to the left—a donut. All of this was with a fair amount of
traffic in the vicinity--it was a wonder we were not hit. When we had gone
nearly the entire circle, we headed straight toward the concrete barriers at
the side of the road. I was sure we would hit them although I do remember
thinking the rear of the car would catch the hit. I also remember thinking we
were for sure going to hit the barriers fairly hard. As we neared the concrete,
somehow the car straightened itself and came to a stop about 12 inches away
from the concrete blocks, facing the right direction. I was so scared I was in
tears, but immediately I had the thought that the Lord had protected us. I was
so touched by this blessing and this evidence of God’s hand in our lives. (Ironically,
as we got a short distance into the Salt Lake Valley, the snow slowed, the
roads cleared, and the snow stopped completely. The roads were dry like there
had been no snow at all.)
Friday, Christmas morning, I woke fairly early and lay in
bed reflecting on our experience Christmas Eve. I felt an overwhelming sense of
Heavenly Father’s love for me and I felt a great testimony of the reality of
God’s hand in our lives and the love and protection He gives us. I pondered
this as I drifted in and out of sleep, but each time I thought about the events
of our drive Christmas Eve I had a new impression that this was evidence of
God’s love and His support in my life. I am so grateful for this tremendous
event and the impressions I received. It brought me great peace.
| Christmas Brunch--Sisters from (back) England, India, Tasmania, (Ted), visitor, Ireland; (front) France, Australia |
As I post this Christmas message, I would like to wish all a
very merry Christmas and encourage all to take the time to reflect on the great
blessing we have because of Our Savior Jesus Christ and His love for us. While
we could have had serious physical damage if our car had crashed, we would be
subject to greater spiritual anguish without the Atonement of Jesus Christ. He
has made it possible for all of us to return to be with Him and Our Father in
Heaven. I am eternally grateful for that and indebted to Him for all He does to
bless our lives. Merry Christmas!


No comments:
Post a Comment