Elder and Sister Roeth

Elder and Sister Roeth
Elder and Sister Roeth

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Week of November 29, 2015

Sunday Lloyd Newell spoke after the broadcast of Music and the Spoken Word. It was his 25th anniversary with the program so it was a bit nostalgic for him. He does a great job and I always enjoy his thoughts. I spent time with my sister Cathy on the phone trying to untie a couple of knots on the family tree. We managed to clean up one part of one family. And it was fun. After church we walked around Temple Square to see the lights. It was beautiful, but it was extremely cold and my gloves were not nearly warm enough.

Nativity on reflection pond next to Salt Lake Temple

Monday after our mission devotional we met with our group. They want us to be in the classes as students for one cycle of classes. We need to learn the modules before we can teach. The afternoon was spent on our own studying the modules they will be teaching in January. I’d really like to be more help.

Tuesday we sat in on the training classes. I learned several things, and I was able to help a couple of students during the second module taught so that made me feel good. We had a long break at lunch so we walked home—we only live 1 ½ blocks away. Ted had received an email saying our buyers had signed their documents over the weekend and it was possible we would close on our house sale this week. After classes Ted and I stayed for about an hour to review some of the things we’d learned. It is a gradual process but I think we’ll get it.

Wednesday we had more classes. We had a call from the escrow company telling us we would close the sale of our home tomorrow. We signed the last papers and emailed them. I feel sad to think we will no longer have our same neighbors. But it feels so good to be this close to ending this drama.

Thursday we were supposed to attend a class that was being taught, but they needed us to give up our computers because they had a full house and they also needed us to help the attendees. Since I had been through the module in my studies on Monday I sort of knew what was being taught. It was fun to be walking around helping even if I only knew part of what was happening.

At noon we had a presentation by Elder Stuart Grow about the birth of Christ. It was wonderful. This was an annual Christmas Devotional and luncheon for the Family Search Department. Later in the day we were told the sale of the home was recorded and we were officially homeless. It is really hard to believe it is over after so many months of trying to sell the house and having three sales. I’m so glad one finally went through. I’m so grateful for the Lord’s handling this the way He knew best.

Friday was our Temple and Research day so we started with a trip to the temple. After we returned home, we did a bit of organizing our work then went to the Family History Library. I did some cleanup work on one of my lines while Ted looked at his Swedish line. He was able to visit with a man that gave him good direction and encouragement about what is available for Swedish research. I had to tear him away when it was time to leave. I made some progress, but it seemed that every time I cleaned up and added sources on one of the children in the family I was working on, I found a new set of records for the parents—way too much duplication on this group at least.

We decided to walk over to City Creek to the food court for dinner and to look around. It was fairly cold, but we enjoyed the walk. We had no idea how to get to where we were going, but we wandered and followed signs and finally got there. I had no idea it was so extensive. On the way back we ran into Jon and Susan Bunker from Las Vegas with some of their children and grandchildren. Small world. We wandered into the Assembly Hall and listened to a concert by a high school choir that did a wonderful job. We have really enjoyed the opportunity to attend so many wonderful events.

Salt Lake Temple with Christmas lights

Saturday I worked on an assignment from our supervisor. We suddenly realized it was almost time for the monthly swap meet so we hurriedly rushed out to make sure we got our share of stuff. There wasn’t much that I wanted, but we managed to fill our bag with stuff we could use. I found one glove (no match) that was perfect for keeping my hands warm. I am hoping I can figure out where to get a pair just like it, but in the meantime, I plan to wear unmatched gloves so at least one hand is warm. (That sounds fairly pathetic, but I am desperate to not have cold hands.) After we finished there we went to the DI to get the stuff we really needed and hadn’t been able to get at the swap meet. I was not able to find a mixer, but I did discover, from talking to a man that only speaks Spanish, that the mixers and the beaters are sold in two different departments so next time I’ll be better prepared for the hunt. In the evening we went to the Assembly Hall and enjoyed a wonderful presentation by a local high school that we enjoyed.

No comments:

Post a Comment