I spent some time with one of the Swedish consultants and
got some direction for researching Ted’s Swedish family. The records for Sweden
are good and should be fairly clear to follow. The go back to the late 1700s in
most area and were updated every year by law. When people moved from one parish
to the next, they made a note of where they were going and when. The new parish
would make a note of when they came and from where. It does not always work out
quite as nicely as it should, but it is pretty good at creating a trail for a
family. Ted is trying to work more on the Finnish lines so he is working with a
Finnish missionary. It was a productive week. We are still pretty green and
need lots of help, but it was nice to have the extra time to do the research.
The cool thing is that I have been able to find a couple of dates that were
incorrect before and I found a missing daughter in one of the families.
After I had gathered several records for three generations
of one family, I spent putting the records onto Research Logs so I could see
what I had and what I was still missing. At the end of the week I transferred
my notes to timelines for the three generations. There are a few missing
records that I have not been able to find, but it is a little confusing without
the organization. Ted is getting some clarity about the Finnish records—some
have three or more generations on one page, all mixed together.
While I was working earlier on cleaning up my grandma’s
siblings’ records, I did some entries on the record of one of her younger
sisters. A couple of days later I received a message in FamilySearch saying, “I
am the youngest daughter of [one of the siblings], who are you?” I told her who
I was, that I was Mabel’s granddaughter, serving a mission in Salt Lake, and if
she lived in the area I would love to meet her. Wednesday we met her and her
husband for lunch and had a delightful visit. I was a little uncertain that we
would be able to recognize each other, but when we walked into the restaurant,
I knew immediately it was her because she looks so much like her mom. It was
really fun to have the opportunity to visit with her and hear some of the
stories she told about her mom and the aunts and uncles. We will do it again
sometime.
| Sister Roeth and new-found cousin |
Friday evening we attended a reunion for the Farmington New Mexico Mission. It was good to see the missionaries we knew there. There were so many I did not recognize because the only ones we really got to know were the ones in our small area surrounding Gallup. There were several from our group there and it was good to see them and have a chance to visit.
My favorite part of the reunion was when Pres. Batt bore his
testimony. He’d had hip replacement surgery and had read the Book of Mormon
twice in three months. He bore a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon,
telling the missionaries he knew the Lord could see each of them doing their
best on their missions to serve the people, seeing them not as a group but
individually. He is a great man.
One of the real pleasures we have living and serving here is the opportunity to walk across Temple Square at least a couple of times each week and often more. It has been such a wonderful experience to see the temple in so many different lights and seasons. And it has been a joy to watch the gardens coming to life as the flowers bloom in all the many color combinations. It has really been fun to see the changes from day to day and week to week,even with the unpredictable changes in the weather.
No comments:
Post a Comment