Monday I worked on preparing for my classes this week. When
I reviewed the lesson plan for class example, I found that the individual we
had used before was no longer available. Also two wives had been removed from
the ancestor and the name had been changed for one of the others on the list.
The screen shots were no good and the example was gone. I looked at another
child in the same family and found there was a lot of work to be done, some
with good hints and sources. It is difficult to teach a new concept using an
example that does not illustrate what we are doing, so I redid some of the
screen shots and the lesson plan. It was a fairly big task getting it prepared
but it will make more sense. We’ll just have an attachment to the books we hand
out.
I spent a little time on my classes for the family history
fair for the stake. When I started I was told there would not be computers
available and questionable internet. Now they have moved the classes to the
library computer labs, so I need to pace the classes a little slower so people
can keep up with me. It is almost harder to teach—much more effective for the
students, but slower with everyone on their own computer. I tried working on
the handout for a new class, but I got bogged down and decided to let it
breathe for a few days.
Tuesday we started our Capstone classes. It went pretty
well. We had about 46 people in the class—we split into two sessions the rest
of the week so the students can all have computers. We attended mission
conference in the afternoon. Pres. Hansen talked about becoming perfect, as in
“Fully developed”. It was intended to give us hope for our future outcomes.
Pres. Tate talked to us about the hope for the Celestial Kingdom. He spoke
about the tendency we have to feel we are not “good enough”.
Wednesday I taught double sessions on how to do descendancy
research. The classes both did really well and it was very encouraging. I’m
sure they are not all proficient, but it seemed to go well. One lady found a
man that needed temple work. She felt bad that he didn’t have a wife, so she
looked and found a wife and several children. It was a very touching
experience. There was also a lady from Germany we thought wouldn’t be able to
find anyone, but we found her a couple of people. I thought it went well.
Since I was teaching all day I was concerned that my legs
would get tired and I wouldn’t be able to stand. In the morning I prayed and
asked for help that my legs would be OK and not hurt. At the end of the day I
was very aware that my legs were not hurting and I had been able to stand
without concern the entire day. It was a real tender mercy.
Thursday the classes both did well again. The students wrote
up their lesson plans and practiced them on each other. The ones that
demonstrated their plans did a great job. After the second class I was drained.
We went to the Visitors’ Center and watched the three new Meet the Mormons
movies and enjoyed them before going home.
Friday we had our class on memories. After we finished Ted
taught Sister Shurtz a lesson plan he had prepared for her. She has been gone
with a new grandbaby, so this was our first chance to meet with her. Afterward,
the four of us went to dinner and the movie The
Spirit of the Game, a movie about some missionaries in Australia that
played basketball to help the Olympic teams train. It was good.
Saturday I was able to sleep in and it felt good. At 10 am I
went out to the swap meet sheds and hung clothes and put things on shelves. We
have some nice stuff, but the shed is quite empty. I’m surprised that we
haven’t received more stuff considering all the people that are going home.
In the evening we had
Stake Conference. It was a wonderful meeting. Our Stake Presidency discussed
the area goals and their plan for implementation. The Vision is to help members
“Become and help others to become true followers of Christ”. It is really
amazing the vision they have and the spirit they convey to the members. As a
missionary I have felt different than other members in the stake, but I am
probably more the same than I realize. I need these steps as much as anyone.
There was a big emphasis on studying the Book of Mormon and observing the
Sabbath Day. It was a good meeting.
No comments:
Post a Comment