Sunday in Stake Conference we
had a couple speak that had been serving in Belgium when the airport was bombed
recently. The man had been at the airport with three young missionaries and was
severely injured. He spoke of his complete faith and trust in the Lord
throughout his healing. It was touching.
Monday at our morning devotional
they had all the missionaries that were going home stand while we sang “God Be
With You ‘Til We Meet Again”. There were a large number leaving—about half of
our group plus several others who had been out longer than one year. It was
very sad to say goodbye to so many friends, most of whom I will probably never
see again. It was a teary occasion. I spent time reviewing for my classes on
Saturday. Our stake is having a family history fair and I’m teaching two
classes. I usually take two hours to teach one of the classes, so it will be challenging
to do it in 50 minutes. I figured out a way to do it differently that will take
less time and be easier to do. I also worked on two new classes I’ll be
teaching. One is not coming together so it is causing some concern.
| Elder and Sister Roeth at LDS Motion Picture Studio |
Tuesday our zone went to lunch
and then toured the LDS Motion Picture Studios in Provo. It was fascinating.
Our guide was Pete Czerny whose name I’ve heard. We also met the director of
the Meet the Mormons productions. He
was a really sweet and humble man. It was really an interesting experience, not
only to see what goes into making the movies, but to see how contrived
everything is. Even the buildings are not really buildings—they are made of
plastic. He showed us how they make some of the sounds. He had a bag of corn
starch—when he walked on it, it sounded just like walking in snow. It was
fascinating. He showed us the models of the Book of Mormon plates—amazing detail.
| Model of Gold Plates based on description by Mary Whitmer |
Wednesday we had some inservice
meetings followed by our staff meeting. In the afternoon I worked on upcoming
classes. I am still struggling with a couple of classes, but I was able to find
a Power Point presentation for one of the classes that I hadn’t thought I had.
| Fireplace used in nearly every LDS movie |
Thursday we had inservice again
then I worked on my classes. With the Lord’s help I was able to get all the
handouts ready for the upcoming classes. One may need some tweaking, but at
least it is in a format that I can use for a first run. I’m doing a class on
Descendancy Research and have been struggling with how to explain what I am
doing in writing. I’m comfortable with the verbal presentation, but I was
finally able to put into writing something that may work. I’ll let it gel for a
few days then give it another review. I was also able to put together my notes
for the Correcting Relationships class.
Friday we met my sister and her
husband to go to the Vernal Temple. Roger drove and we had a good trip. The
temple is beautiful. I had asked a couple of ladies what the flower was for the
temple. Usually temples have a flower that forms a theme throughout the temple.
Neither one thought there was any special flower. A bit later a lady came up to
me that had been visiting with one of the ladies I asked. She said she had
asked the assistant matron and she thought it was the Sego Lily because they
were all along the hallway. I thought that was very sweet of her. She visited
with me a few minutes. I also visited with another lady and told her how much
we enjoyed being there and what a beautiful temple it is. Everyone was very
sweet and friendly.
| Vernal Temple |
Saturday we had the stake family
history fair. I went early to the library so I could load files onto the
computers in the classroom where I would teach. I discovered the library
doesn’t open until 9 am on Saturday. After I went in the back way I started
copying the files to the computers and found the room was to be used for a
prayer meeting for the British Zone. I went to make copies and did a couple of
other things then finished copying the files to the computers. I think my
classes went well. I was concerned about keeping the students together, but I
mostly did it as a demonstration and told them they could follow along. Most
did and it went OK. I was able to cover all the material I planned to. In the
evening we went to the stake center for a stake “family reunion”, a talent show
from the wards in the stake. It was fun and relaxing and I enjoyed it.
No comments:
Post a Comment