Sunday was the last day of General Conference. We had tickets
for the afternoon session, but we gave them to another family so they could all
go. We enjoyed watching it from the comfort of our living room. The prophet
spoke in the morning. He stressed the importance of studying the Book of Mormon
daily. It reminded me of Pres. Ezra Taft Benson when he admonished us to not
take the Book of Mormon casually. He also announced five new temples. He is
looking pretty frail, but he appeared strong as he spoke.
Monday we arranged for a small class of Advanced IrfanView for
three sets of zone leaders who had not had the opportunity to take enrichment
during their missions. We had to teach at personal computers in a small area
because none of the labs were available, but it worked well. The missionaries
really appreciated it.
In the evening we had a potluck with our social group as a
last hurrah. It was fun being together and having a brief visit with the
missionaries. It was fun. I told everyone how much it has meant to me
personally to know so many of them while we’ve been here, even though we don’t
work in the same areas. It is just nice to know a few faces in the crowd when
you walk into a room and we are scattered enough that there is usually at least
one or two of us at each event. They are a good group.
![]() |
| Elder and Sister Roeth at Farewell Potluck with Social Group |
Tuesday I wasn’t needed to help with new missionaries.
Sister Thompson and I discussed some ways to change Capstone I so it flowed
better and referenced both the Research Process which we teach the first day
and The Family History Guide which is the main thrust of training for new
missionaries. It meant cutting some classes, reordering others, and finding
references to include in the booklet we pass out.
Wednesday we had a staff meeting where we discussed the
changes to the curriculum. It appeared to be well-received even though some
classes will be seriously modified. Now the research needs to be done to find
the connections with The FH Guide. I was not needed in the lab again, so I
worked on several sections that I have taught and typed it up for review. I
feel a need to get some things packed, but I’m having a hard time getting
started.
Thursday I had the opportunity to do an assessment. One of
the new CSM assigned to our zone asked if she could shadow me if I did an
assessment, so she came over and watched. She was doing the same with most of
the trainers. It was National Twinkie Day so they had half Twinkies for snacks
during breaks along with crackers and cheese. I did a little research in the
afternoon and found some good records.
The Swap Meet is scheduled for this weekend and rain is
forecast. I spent time talking with the Housing Coordinator and the new lady in
charge to devise a contingency plan. The Swap Meet has not been rained out in
at least 22 months. I suggested postponing it for a week in case of rain.
In the evening I went to help a sister pack. We dug some
empty boxes out of her storage closet and collapsed the ones she didn’t need. We
did everything we could while I was there. She has a few boxes ready to take to
her friend’s where she’ll be staying until she finds something permanent. She
had an operation and is not supposed to bend, lift, and twist.
Friday I woke up thinking about the Swap Meet. Someone suggested
doing it at the Church and it seemed like a good backup plan. We can load the
stuff in vans and haul it across the street. I talked to the Housing
Coordinator and she thought that would work—she’ll tell the new missionaries
that we will post the location of the Swap Meet if it changes. The new leader
bought two canopies that she thought would work as covers so we could actually
hold the Swap Meet at the sheds. I was a little doubtful, but we’ll see.
Anyway, she’s convinced we should move ahead. I’m in agreement if we can move
the stuff to the church.
After the new missionaries had their Go Forth meeting, we
rearranged the teaching lab so it will accommodate the Capstone classes the
next two weeks. We have 5 rows of 4 computers on 3 tables per row. The center
tables have 2 computers, so we moved the 2 on the ends in far enough that each
end table will accommodate a laptop. We have arranged for several missionaries
to bring laptops so everyone will have a computer. I think this will work well.
The rows are so far apart that the class seems really spread out, but it will
be great.
I spent the rest of the day doing research. I needed to have
a Swedish record read for me so I went to the library for part of the day. I
have volunteered to teach an inservice class on April 26, the last day we are
here—the day of our farewell luncheon. I need to decide what to teach and I’ve
taught everything I know so I would need to create a new class. I’m not sure
what to do—forge ahead or let them find someone else to do the class.
Saturday it rained early in the morning. I was sure it would
stop in time to set up for the Swap Meet, but it didn’t. We went to the sheds
prepared to move everything to the church. The new leader brought her canopy
and that allowed us to load the vans without too much hassle. We took 4 van
loads to the church. I stayed at the sheds with the leader and the others went
to set up tables and displays. They had about a third of the people we usually
do. Apparently, the Housing Coordinator told the new missionaries it would be
postponed if it rained. I’m really sorry there was confusion. We had a few
calls asking about it and we told everyone about the change. A couple of people
came when it was all over and were a little put out that they missed it, but we
posted the time as we usually do. Several people came to the sheds to get
things we didn’t take over like ironing boards and sheets. It worked well and
I’m glad we were able to pull it off. I’m grateful that the Lord gave us a
backup plan so we don’t have to do it next weekend. I've really enjoyed doing it and will miss the socializing.

No comments:
Post a Comment